Youngsters across the Fylde Coast will be making waves with us in support of the Royal Life Saving Society’s National Drowning Prevention Week between 16th – 26th June.
Throughout Drowning Prevention Week, YMCA Fylde Coast Swimming Pools will be incorporating specialised Swimming Safety activities and challenges into swimming lesson programmes during the week.
We will be using activities and resources provided by the Royal Life Saving Society UK (the UK’s drowning prevention charity) to teach local youngsters and their parents about the risk of being in, on and around water.
Our week long programme of YMCA’s focus on drowning prevention will culminate with the Rookie Beach Party on Sunday 25th June. The event has been organised to celebrate the achievements of YMCA’s Rookie Lifeguards who are all aged 8 – 14 years. All youngsters participating in the Rookie Programmes across our pools have been invited to come together and experience some open water lifesaving and safe fun on the beach at Fleetwood.
Further events occurring at our swimming centres throughout the week include free seminars for parents, free swimming assessments for kids and surf board competitions. For a full list of events and details of swimming lesson programmes at your nearest YMCA, please visit see below or contact your nearest YMCA Swimming Pool directly. YMCA Swimming Pools are located in St Annes, Kirkham, Poulton, Fleetwood and Garstang.
- Monday 19th June – Water Safety throughout the swimming programme
- Monday 19th – 23rd June – Surf Board Competition open to all swimming lessons
- Saturday 24th June – Surf Board Competition open to the public (Times TBC)
- Sunday 25th June – Rookie Lifegaurd Beach Day (Fleetwood Beach), 11.00 am – 2.00 pm
- Sunday 18th June – Free Rookie Taster Session, 3.30pm – 5.00pm
- Monday 19th – Sunday 25th June – Water safety throughout normal swimming lesson programme
- Tuesday 20th June – Free Swimming Lesson Assessments
YMCA St Annes Pool & Gym
- Wednesday 21st – Friday 23rd June: RLSS ‘Save a Babies Life Programme available to the parents of the rookie children. The programme will take place alongside the kids rookie lifeguard session.
YMCA Kirkham Rural Splash
- Friday 16th – Monday 26th June – School swimming lessons will include reaching rescues, safe CODE and the importance of water safety.
- Friday 16th – Monday 26th June – Evening swimming lessons (stage 4 and above) will involve water safety and rescues wearing normal everyday clothing.
YMCA Garstang Pool
- Friday 16th – Monday 26th June – Children attending school swimming lessons will be producing water safety posters and participating in reaching rescues
- Friday 16th – Monday 26th June – Evening and weekend swimming lessons will involve reaching rescues and also a selection of parent seminars on water safety. Contact the centre for more details